Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Even Difficulter Third Night


Wednesday 9th August

Victoria wanted to hit it hard with the flyering today. Of course Graeme and I wanted to hit it hard with the fannying about. We intended to see a show, but in the end didn’t manage to squeeze one in.

I’ve mainly been taking photographs on the Royal Mile, rather than handing out flyers. Lelita the PR girl is arriving tomorrow though, so hopefully we should see some sort of increase in the Trans-Canada Highway profile.

I’ve taken to having a bowl of soup before I go on, in the venue’s vegetarian café. Although the food is nice, the service is absolutely terrible. The toilets were also out of order all day. They were only just repaired, as we were about to go on.

It was more of a theatre crowd that was in tonight, as we had Caroline’s ‘Behind Closed Doors’ lot in. They filled the whole front row, only notable because up til now no one has sat in the front row. I make the point of saying ‘theatre crowd’ as I don’t think our kind of screwball comedy is their scene. Having said that they did laugh in places.

From our perspective the general consensus was that tonight was even worse than last night. Although there were laughs, a lot of it was met with silence.

We’re now looking at ways to fix the second scene, which seems to be the one that’s falling flat. I’ve suggested that Graeme and I swap parts. Victoria’s been brainstorming to think of anything that can inject a bit more life into it.

When we were in Rush in the Cowgate afterwards the Hearts game was on the telly. Although punters and bar staff were watching it, the pub still had thumping rock music on (well, Guns N Roses and Dire Straits), so the game had subtitles.

As it was a live match the subtitles are obviously done as the commentators are speaking. I’m not sure whoever was writing it was a football fan. This made for some unintentionally funny captions.

“I don’t think that was a file. He went down looking for it.”

“I thought he was going to go with his assistant and award her throat.”

“Hearts get the thrall on the far side.”


I saw a few celebrities today. Comedians Dominic Holland, Owen O’Neill and Scott Cappuro all walking about town. I also spotted Amy Lane from Celebrity Fit Club (though I’m not sure what she actually does that made her a celebrity in the first place) at a cash machine and Ewan ‘Big Keith’ Macintosh from The Office, in Rush, alternatively playing the puggy and having his photograph taken with the bar staff.

1 Comments:

Blogger Neecowa said...

Subtitles are produced by voice recognition technology these days Brogan and that's why there are often glaring grammatical errors. A bit like your emails.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home