Friday, August 18, 2006

Jambalaya, Canadian Girls, Texts

Thursday 17th August
Jo came through with me this morning. We went to see Momma Cherri's show in the Pleasance Dome, which kicks off at 11.30am.

The show starts in the cafe part of the venue, before moving up to the theatre. We begin with a bit of history of how soul food came about. Momma then shows us how to make jambalaya. After that we head up to the theatre to hear about her experiences with Gordon Ramsay.

The most interesting fact in this for me was that 10 minutes into that programme being shown, she had received 350 e-mails for bookings. To close with she did some gospel singing. It just so happened that the DC Youth Ensemble were in the audience and they asked if they could perform a song. So the show closed with a full gospel choir. It was pretty good and sent us both out smiling. As part of the deal we also got a free bowl of jambalaya, which went down well.

I let Jo go off to see some fancy show (the name of which escapes me) that she got a free ticket for. I went to the VIP bar in the Assembly Rooms to meet with a nice woman from Fremantle Media.

I chatted to her about You Owe Me Glue and gave her some scripts to read and some DVDs to watch. We seemed to spend as much time talking about football as comedy though.

From there I went to Lindsay's to do a spot in Kill the Monster. The basement in Lindsay's is a nice little venue. I was on with Padraig Hyland, Rowan Campbell and The Toothpaste Expedition, though I left just as the Toothpaste guys got started. The funniest part of the show for me was when an elderly couple wandered in during Rowan's set. He then carried on as if he was doing a faith healer show. Carried on for several minutes.

It was a pretty small audience and I was happy to get a few laughs out of my 7 and a half minutes. I'm back here in a couple of days so I'll see if I get any better.

After watching a guy fall through the chair he was sitting on at the Pleasance, we went to Tempting Tattie for tea. I always like to go in there when I'm in Edinburgh. I lived just along the street and although it's not as good as it used to be it still offers good value for money.

Onto Greyfriars Kirk House and another performance. We only had 8 in tonight, including Jo, 2 Canadian girls and Victoria's boyfriend who has seen the show now 6 times.

Tonight was worse than last night. I think you could count the total laughs on one hand. The Canadian girls walked out just as Victoria began her second monologue. It really is staring to become a chore. It's not so bad when the folk in seem to be going for it, but it's hit and miss each night as to whether we get a few laughs or look out to see several bored looking folk scowling at us.

After a quick drink to drown our sorrows, Jo and I went on to David O'Doherty is my Name at the Assembly Rooms. Over the last year or so DOD has become one of my favourite comics. Tonight's show was excellent with entertaining ad libs, well written material and some funny songs.

He also suffered a few walk outs. One guy left through the fire escape then seemed to get trapped between that door and the next door. Someone else shuffled past him on the stage while saying "I'm going to miss my train."

He plays his songs on a couple of cheesy keyboards and my favourite was probably 'Sent a Text to the Person the Text was About'. He's definitely worth spending money to go to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home