Monday, August 14, 2006

Fringe Sunday

Sunday 13th August

Today was Fringe Sunday, where hundreds of acts play at the Meadows and all for free. The Fringe office estimate that 150,000 people would be dropping by. There were the usual selection of street perfomers, guys on big unicycles, escapologists and fire eaters. There were also a selction of tents for music and comedy.

I spent some time in the comedy tent and saw Jimeoin, an Irish comedian who relocated to Australia about ten years ago. He had his own TV show over there and also wrote for Eric Bana's sketch show. He was quite funny, in the short space of time he had. His best bit was how when you watch a band you can't hear the bass, but if you leave the venue you can hear the bass all the way up the road.

Next on was Dwight Slade. He's been doing comedy for decades, having started ut with Bill Hicks when they were both schoolkids. His experience showed, with a confident delivery, covering lots of topics in the 15 to 20 mins that he was on for. An excellent stage prescence he finished with a big set piece to music about driving with the radio on.

I left the Meadows to head for the Holyrood Tavern. I was taking part in a show called The Adventures of Bitter and Twisted. Starring Jem Jenkins-Jones and Owen Niblock, with the voice of Howard Read as the Narrator. It's a gothic, storytelling comedy with songs, talking badgers and evil rabbits.

I played an evil rabbit, though was so keen to ensure I didn't miss my cue I almost came in too early. When I was jumping about in the rabbit mask I suddenly realised that there was no slot to breathe through my mouth in. I had to try not to make any heavy wheezing sounds as I struggled for breath.

Anyway it's a fun little show and very different from a lot of things that you'll see on the festival.

As for our show, it was the best it's been. God knows where we got the audience from cos they laughed all the way through it. Lots of lines that previously had been falling flat got big laughs. The best night to have a critic in, though the fact it was well received by the audience won't sway the reviewer.

When we went for a drink afterwards we bumped into Alan Anderson and Scott Agnew. You just can't get away from Glasgow comedians here.

Graeme and I then went to a party at the Bedlam Theatre. It was pretty slow to get moving and even then we didn't really get into it.

We're on to a day off now and hopefully will come back fully charged for Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home