Saturday, August 12, 2006

A Quick Fix

Friday 11th August

Graeme and I went through early this morning, getting the ten o’clock bus. I cannot, of course, afford the £400 a week rent in order to stay in Edinburgh for the duration of the show. I can barely afford the £40 a week that it costs to get from my flat in Hyndland to Edinburgh each day.

We went to see No Exit at the studio theatre in Greyfriars Kirk House. The Jean-Paul Satre play was being performed by Grenofen Productions. The cast, though based in St Andrews, are international, hailing from America, New Zealand and Kent.

The play contains perhaps Satre’s most famous line – “Hell is other people”. The production was very well done. The three actors were first class. All of them are onstage throughout the 70 minute running time. The stage set up allowed audience members to actually be seated on the stage. Of course we opted to sit a few rows back. It’s quite an intense play and it held my interest throughout.

When Victoria arrived we went to sit in the Meadows as we attempted to repair our troubled scene. After a while we came up with something that we thought was funnier than what is already there. Perhaps it makes less sense, but I think that it is funnier.

We then bought the relevant props, went back to the venue and ran through the scene in the cellar, while a show went on above us.

After Wednesday and Thursday night’s shows Victoria and Graeme are now wishing things could be as good as it was on Tuesday. That evening was of course a minor disaster, but is now been viewed as halcyon days.

I think the ‘fix’ to the scene worked in one sense. It added a couple of laughs to a passage that had none. I’m still not sure it helps the scene’s direction and the most worrying aspect, it trims several minutes off the show’s run time.

The cast and director of No Exit sat in the front row. I found that slightly intimidating. What we’re doing is about as far removed from a Satre play as you can get.

For the first time I had a bunch of folk in the audience. They enjoyed the performances, but felt, for one thing that the show was very short.

In my opinion, I think the trouble scene needs to be extended a little more, or have an epilogue added to it, as it feels somewhat incomplete.

But it’s onwards and upwards. Saturday and Sunday to go before our day off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home